On-Campus Interviews (OCI)
If you are seeking internships or full-time, professional employment , OCI brings prospective employers to the Career Development Center to interview and hire CSULB students and alumni. Also, employers increasingly utilize On-Campus Interviews to select internship candidates. Each year, these interviews result in employment or internships for scores of students and alumni. In fact, many company representatives who recruit at CSULB were hired as the result of an OCI interview.
- Who is eligible?
- What's the advantage of participating in OCI?
- How do I activate my BeachLINK account?
- Is it necessary to completely fill out the BeachLINK Personal and Academic Profiles?
- In the BeachLINK Academic Profile, what does the term
- Online OCI Orientation (Completion required to gain access to OCI)
Getting an Interview:
- I've completed my online OCI Orientation. Now how do apply for an interview?
- How do I upload my resume and other documents into BeachLINK?
- Once my resume is uploaded in BeachLINK, can employers see it just by scanning the database?
- What is the difference between
"Open" and "Preselect"
- How do the "Preselect"
trigger dates work?
- Why am I unable to submit my resume for some preselect jobs?
When You Have an Interview:
- How do I prepare for an interview?
- How should I dress for the interview?
- Where are the interviews held?
- When should I arrive for the interview?
- How do I cancel an interview appointment?
- What are the consequences of a no-show no-call for a scheduled interview?
Who Is Eligible?
- Currently enrolled CSULB student or qualified alumnus.
- Student seeking an internship or full-time employment.
- Possess an active BeachLINK account and accurately maintain all fields in the Personal and Academic profiles.
- Complete the online OCI Orientation to upgrade your BeachLINK account to include OCI job listings.
- Have your resume reviewed by Career Center staff, then upload it into BeachLINK.
- CSULB graduates are invited to use all Career Center services for one year following conference of their degrees. Less recent alumni who subscribe to full Career Center services (See Alumni Services) may also be eligible for OCI.
Note: OCI is a program designed to assist current or newly graduated students, however, there may be opportunities for alumni on a limited basis. Alumni eligibility for OCI interviews
is determined by the specific employer posting the opportunity.
What's the advantage of participating in OCI?
- Employers make a special effort to interview CSULB graduates and alumni. They come to campus to seek you out, to make it convenient for you. It may be the only time in your working life when that will happen.
- Competition is reduced when you interview for jobs earlier than other college graduates. Some students wait until after the graduation ceremony to begin looking for work. OCI participants often have multiple job offers before or soon after graduating. The odds are significantly better to get an interview via OCI than in the open job market.
How do I activate my BeachLINK account?
Login to BeachLINK.
Username: Your Campus ID number
Password: The first letter of your last name in Uppercase, (i.e.
'S' not 's') followed by all nine digits of your Campus ID number.
Complete the profile page. Enter the address of the email account you use most frequently. You now have access to BeachLINK.
Is it necessary to completely fill out the BeachLINK Personal and Academic Profiles?
If you participate in On-Campus Interviews, it is extremely important for you to complete all profile fields. Failure to do so will cause you to miss out on employment opportunities for which you are actually eligible. It is important that you keep this information updated and accurate. Updated academic profiles, current phone and email addresses are vital for this program. Important: Your
BeachLINK personal and academic profiles are not automatically updated
like your My CSULB account. You are responsible for manually updating
your BeachLINK profiles so they are current and accurate.
In the BeachLINK Academic Profile, what does the term
Applicant Type gives you three options: Graduating, Non-Graduating and Alumni. In BeachLINK, Graduating refers to students who are graduating in the current semester. Non-Graduating is the Applicant Type for students graduating in future semesters. Alumni refers to individuals who have already received their degrees.
Online OCI Orientation
Required to Upgrade Your BeachLINK Account to Include OCI Opportunities
Completion of an online OCI Orientation is required for all students and alumni who participate in On-Campus Interviews. Your BeachLINK account will upgraded to include OCI positions within one to two business days of the orientation completion.
To access the Online OCI Orientation (computer sound capability recommended):
- Login to BeachLINK
- Go to Shortcuts
- Click on On-Campus Interview (OCI) Program Orientation
- Complete the orientation and submit the completion form.
My BeachLINK account includes OCI jobs. Now How Do I Apply for an Interview?
- Login to BeachLINK with your username and password.
- Click the navigation button at the top of the screen marked "Jobs & Internships"
- Click BeachLINK Jobs.
- At the "Show Me" drop down list, select "All OCI Interviews" or "Show Me the OCI Interviews I Qualify For".
- Click on the job titles that interest you and submit your resume and other requested documents.
How do I upload my resume and other documents into BeachLINK?
- From the BeachLINK home page, click on the "Documents" navigation button.
- Click "Add New"
- Label your resume (i.e. marketing resume or J Smith's resume)
- Use your browser to select and open the document file
- Click "Submit" to upload the document.
Note: To upload a copy your unofficial transcript, copy the document from My CSULB and paste it into Word, WordPad or other text editor. Save it to your desktop or My Documents, then use your browser to select the document and upload it to BeachLINK.
Once my resume is uploaded in BeachLINK, can employers see it just by scanning the database?
No. Employers only view your resume if you submit it to them. Career Development Center Corporate Partners are given access to resume books but only on a limited basis. Protecting your privacy is a high priority for the Career Development Center.
What is the difference between
"Open" and "Preselect"
Open: Self-schedule an interview if you meet the employer's Screening Criteria on the job posting. Select your interview time on BeachLINK. This option is based on a first come, first served principle. No employer invitation is required for this type of interview.
Preselect: Submit your resume for an OCI position. The employer will review all resumes and select candidates to interview. You will be notified by email if you have been invited to an interview. Then schedule your interview time on BeachLINK. You must first be invited to schedule an interview on a Preselect interview. Employers use this interview type most frequently.
How do the "Preselect"
The example below shows Schedule Details for a Preselect interview.
Interview Date (s)
Schedule Type: Preselect
resume submission start date
10/1/2011 12:00 am
resume submission end date
11/4/2011 11:59 pm
Sign-Up Start Date
10/7/2011 12:00 am
Sign-Up End Date
11/10/2011 11:59 pm
- Submit a resume until 11:59pm on the [Resume Submission End] date to be considered for a Preselect interview.
- Employers review the documents and select their interview candidates after the [Resume Submission End] date,
- How do I know if I'm invited to an interview? You will receive notification by e-mail very early in the morning of the [Sign-Up Start Date]. Then you may login to BeachLINK to select your interview time.
- Sign-ups end at 11:59 pm on the [Sign-Up End Date] and the schedule closes .
Please note that the dates may change to accommodate the employer so check the dates that appear on the right hand side of the job description page under Schedule Details.
Why Am I Unable to Submit My Resume for Some Preselect Jobs?
You may not meet the employer's basic Screening Criteria for certain positions. You can review those requirements by looking on the right side of the job posting page beneath the Interview Date section . If you don't meet each criterion, BeachLINK provides a [non-qualify because] message under Application Status at the right, top of the job posting page. See the examples below:
- Your major is not among those specified for this position.
OCI Screening: Majors/Concentrations
Business Economics, International Studies
OCI Screening: Graduation Date (Start)
Dec 2010 - August 2011
OCI Screening: Degree Level(s)
OCI Screening: Work Authorization
US Citizen, Permanent Resident
OCI Screening: Applicant Type
Graduating, Alumni (graduating means you are graduating in the current semester.)
How do I prepare for an interview?
How should I dress for the interview?
Professional attire is required for these interviews.
When in doubt about what to wear, make the more conservative choice or consult with a career counselor.
- suit or sports coat and tie are preferable
- dress shirt, dress slacks, tie, without a jacket are acceptable
- dress shoes and dark socks.
- suit (skirt or pants) is preferable
- tailored blouse with dress slacks or a skirt without a jacket is acceptable
- closed-toe dress shoes with a low to medium heel and hose.
When should I arrive for the interview?
Arrive at the Career Development Center, 250 Brotman Hall, 10 - 15 minutes prior to your appointment time. Check in at the On-Campus Interview kiosk by keying in your student I.D. number. Have a seat in the lobby and wait for the interviewer to call your name.
How do I cancel an interview appointment?
Hopefully you will not have to cancel but if you must, you have up to 2 days prior to the interview to self-cancel the interview in BeachLINK. If cancelling within 2 days or less of your interview, call (562) 985-8468 or (562) 985-4151 and we will notify the employer. IMPORTANT: Short notice cancellations should occur only in case of an extreme emergency.
To cancel an OCI interview in BeachLINK (must be more than 2 days prior to the interview.):
- Login to BeachLINK.
- Click on the My OCI Interviews navigation button at the top of your screen
- Select the Scheduled Interviews tab (not the Requested Interviews tab)
- Select the Reschedule or Cancel button
What are the consequences of a no-show, no-call for a scheduled interview?
A No Show, No Call on a scheduled OCI interview reflects poorly on you and this university and may result in the loss of your OCI and BeachLINK privileges. You may also be required to write a note of apology to the employer.